Author Topic: Checking Hardware Screws and Bolts  (Read 2717 times)

Offline revolver

Checking Hardware Screws and Bolts
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »
Easy tip for everyone!!

Safety is in my mind more than ever lately. So I've gone back to my old days with the spanner to keep an eye on my helis hardware. Threadlock is great but you just can't tell if it has actually done the job and secured the hardware or not. If you check a bolt or screw for security with a driver, then you run the risk of breaking the threadlock bond and defeating your own purpose!

So, I bought a gold sharpie pen. You could use any colour you like! I went with gold because it is mostly invisible until I shine a strong light on it - then it is as clear as day!

Here is my tail assembly. I have drawn a line across the tail grip screw down onto the blade grip itself. I've done the same with the little grub screw in the hub. When I look at these before or after a flight, I can instantly tell if the screws have moved. If the gold line is broken and the mark on the screw doesn't line up with the grip, then the screw is coming out!

You may see in the background I have used a correction pen on the screws instead. I started with that and it works great. It is better because with the gold ink, if the screw was to turn 360 degrees, the line would still look fine and you would be none the wiser. With the correction pen you get a hardened ribbon of white. You could use coloured glue or similar either. If the screw head moves, the white line will break and fracture. However, it doesn't work well on high speed parts....

Here's my main shaft collar:

And my main blade nut. The bolt may well rotate a little in the grip which is normal enough. So the line between nut and grip may not be in line, but the bolt and nut certainly should be.....

So, now I can keep an eye on my hardware without having to take a spanner or screwdriver out of my toolbox. Anything that has moved and shows a broken gold line will be removed, cleaned up, checked and replaced, threadlocked, marked again and watched closely!!

Have fun and be safe everyone!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:43:40 PM by revolver »
Blade MSRx
Blade Nano CPx
HK450GT

DX6i

Offline tntrcnutz

• MOTM Award
  • WHO SEZ YOU CANT HAVE 10 BACKUP HELIS
Re: Checking Hardware Screws and Bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »
 :138:

well done
this will help a lot of people including myself

a tip like this will make a preflight a lot easier

thanx for posting

FLY IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT/THEN LIE TO THE WIFE AND BUY MORE

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • RumblecloudRC
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
That's a great idea.  Thanks for sharing.  :thank-you: :coolguy:

DH......

Offline revolver

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »
Think I broke te link to the first pic. Fixed now I hope!
Blade MSRx
Blade Nano CPx
HK450GT

DX6i

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • RumblecloudRC
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »
Think I broke te link to the first pic. Fixed now I hope!

Yes you got it working again.

DH.......

Offline tntrcnutz

• MOTM Award
  • WHO SEZ YOU CANT HAVE 10 BACKUP HELIS
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 05:41:19 AM »
 :woohooguy: 

the pics are showing up now

tnt

FLY IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT/THEN LIE TO THE WIFE AND BUY MORE

Offline revolver

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
Hope you find it useful!!

I have found that a correction pen is pretty fluid initially which means it can run into small spaces (capilliary attraction I think it was called in school!) under nuts and bolt heads. I would be a llittle worried about screws or nuts near bearings as you probably don't really want to get any into internal parts.

Maybe colored glue or similar would be a better option.

The gold sharpie works really well to though!! I particularly like that it is nearly invisible unless something very bright is shining on it....  :224:
Blade MSRx
Blade Nano CPx
HK450GT

DX6i