Author Topic: Tail heavy 500  (Read 1536 times)

Offline outpost

Tail heavy 500
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:36:39 AM »
Hey guys, I searched this topic and found some info but not everything I was looking for.

I have a pretty tail heavy HK500 CMT TT. I have come to find out that this is a problem with all align and clone 500 helis. Seems pretty ridiculous that they would design a helicopter like this and get away with it but whatever.

Anyway, I'm currently running a turnigy 85 amp ESC under the battery tray as far forward as I can get it and a 3000mah 6s with the top of the pack a cm below the rubber supports for the canopy. The gyro is on the little tray under the boom and the Rx is on top of the boom so all my servos can reach it. Lastly the tail servo is as far forward as I can get it.

I'm happy that it balances and all but I'm upset that I have to have a larger than reccomended battery hanging halfway off the tray in order for it to do so. Seems like pretty poor engineering and just makes me sad.

The fist thing that comes to mind is the fact that there are two bearings in the boom versus the one for align, also is it possible that the alloys HK has used are heaviest than align? I'm not sure if I just have to admit defeat or if there is something I'm missing.

I was originally planning on getting a smaller pack for aerobatic flying but now I'm thinking it may not be such a good idea.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • RumblecloudRC
Re: Tail heavy 500
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:11:06 AM »
I don't have the answer you are looking for, but I am hopping someone will have a good answer for you soon....

DH....

Offline tntrcnutz

• MOTM Award
  • WHO SEZ YOU CANT HAVE 10 BACKUP HELIS
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
About all you can do is add weight to the nose somewhere to the frame . I really don't suspect the metals and bearings have a lot to do with it . It all depends on the servos motors and other equipment that is being used. My t rex 600 N had the same issue but upon a little investigation with the equipment I used versus the recommended Align there was a variable difference in weights . Different sevos different weight basicly . I use Futaba 401 gyro and matching s 9254 servos on my 600 and there is a difference in weight compared to the Align GP 780 and servo which causes  me to be a little tail heavy .

Hope this helps ease your mind a little . If any thing else just ask we are here for you .

FLY IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT/THEN LIE TO THE WIFE AND BUY MORE

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • RumblecloudRC
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
Thanks for the help Tim.....

DH.....