Author Topic: Charging multiple 1S LiPo batteries  (Read 548 times)

Offline revolver

Charging multiple 1S LiPo batteries
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:04:53 AM »
So after pulling out all my gear from the attic and blowing the dust off (and subsequently selling my 450 heli) I thought I would have some fun with my Blade MSRx. Taking out my batteries and charger reminded me of a couple of hazards. I thought I'd pass on what I do for charging these little packs....

Firstly, I don't use the EFlite charger that runs off alkaline batteries. That charger has overcharged my LiPos before and I don't trust it. Also, it can only do one battery at a time. Even the Celestra 4 pack charger can suffer all the same problems and has no built in safeguards.

I do this:

[/url]

I love the B6AC+ charger. I have three 150 mAh 1S packs together via a clever connector which effectively turns the three into a 3S battery. I have the chargers thermometer strapped to the bunch and it all goes in the LiPo charge bag while charging. I charge indoors, which makes me nervous enough as it is, but the charge bag then sits on top of the metal case too, so at least there isn't much nearby which can ignite!

I have a max temperature limit set (just 30 deg C as I have never had these batteries warm up at all while charging so even a small bit would mean something has changed) as well as time limit of 75 minutes, and a charge limit of 450 mA. If any of these limits are reached the charge will disconnect and stop.

Using the little connector also means I can balance charge at the same time, so if any battery reaches it's full charge before the others, then the charge will be transferred to the other two first.

This way, in under an hour I have three packs fully charged and ready to go, with all the peace of mind that comes with a proper decent charger.

While I love the hobby, the batteries do make me nervous. I store them outside when not in use, and I would strongly recommend to everyone to use all available safety systems when charging them up. Better safe than sorry!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:08:59 AM by revolver »
Blade MSRx
Blade Nano CPx
HK450GT

DX6i

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • RumblecloudRC
Re: Charging multiple 1S LiPo batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:06 PM »
That is awesome Barry, Not sure I have seen that before (that I remember anyway), I have the same charger (the box with cables is put up in the garage), did that charging cable come with it or did you make it???

Safety 1st everyone......

DH....

Offline revolver

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:15:55 AM »
I got it from one of our local stores here Dave. I'm sure it would be easy to whip up yourself but I still think I'd probably get something wrong if I tried!

http://www.radiocontrolledshop.ie/charging-adapters-leads/6143-parallel-3x-charge-cable-for-ncpx.html

A great store for any others from the Emerald Isle by the way.....
Blade MSRx
Blade Nano CPx
HK450GT

DX6i

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • RumblecloudRC
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:57:02 AM »
Sweet, I found some cables on ebay for up to 6 of 1S battery packs... Pretty cool.... :)

Thanks for the info Barry....

DH....