Mini Champ or Mini Supercub???

Mini Champ
1 (20%)
Mini Supercub
1 (20%)
UM Trojan T-28
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Champ or Mini Supercub???  (Read 4355 times)

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
  • I've Got The Hang Of It!!!
Champ or Mini Supercub???
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »
Hi Guys,

got a birthday coming up and I am being asked what I want.
I want to get a plane and was thinking thechamp or mini supercub. Don't want anything too big but like the champ as it's a 2.4 transmitter.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:49:05 AM by asboss »

HoneyBee V2    HobbyZone Champ   Parkzone Radian   Parkzone F4F Wildcat   Walkera Ladybird Quad

Offline jdr00ejr

• Looking up!
    • Family Site
Re: Champ or Mini Supercub???
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
Out of those two options I voted the Champ as I've heard it's got more power than the SuperCub.  However, I'm debating myself about my frist plane and I'm deciding between the Champ and the UM Trojan T-28.  I'm leaning toward the T-28.  Might check that out and see if you may want to add it to your list.

EDIT:  ASBoss, I just realized I was not on the same page as you.  You put the SuperCub in the vote - I was thinking of the UM J-3 Cub.  The Champ is begger and has more power than the UM J-3 Cub.  I don't know much about the SuperCub but have read on other forums people still voting the Champ over it - since the Champ is small and more forgiving.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:37:17 AM by jdr00ejr »
Joshua
----------
"Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not on thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  ~Proverbs 3:5-6
----------

Helis --> Syma S-001 (Ignored), Pheonix Sim, Blade CX3/2/Lama V4 Mutt, Blade MSR, Blade MCX2 (Son's)

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:25:33 PM »
Thanks for your input jdr, only 2 votes (one for each) so 50/50 at the moment.
Will look at the t28.
Regards

HoneyBee V2    HobbyZone Champ   Parkzone Radian   Parkzone F4F Wildcat   Walkera Ladybird Quad

Offline AusDaniel

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »
the champ or sup cub only hav a rudder to turn, it works well and is easier to fly than say the UM T-28 or UM p-51 but the t-28 or p-51 will teach you alot more as they have ailerons aswell as rudder to turn. as to which you should chose, its upto you which you want, if you have a sim it wont take you long to get use to the p-51 or t-28 but if you have a sim and get the champ or super cup you may get bored of them quicker than that of the t-28 and p-51. also the p-51 or t-28 allow for progression as you will eventually be able to do barrel roles and other aerobatics as you wish where as you are limited to basic flight with champ or sup cub. all will perform basic flight quite comfortably if you do not want to get into aerobatics.

hope this helps and isnt to confusing   :219:

Offline jdr00ejr

• Looking up!
    • Family Site
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 05:37:15 AM »
ASBoss,

Wanted to chime in here with more info on my suggestion.  I'm really wanting to get started in the plane thing.  I living in a housing neighborhood and have a very small back yard.  I decided the UMs would be the way to go.  After starting to research, lots of things i was reading said go 3 channel - no Ailerons.  I've read absolutely nothing but good things on the Champ.  I think it was over at RC Groups I read a really good comparison of the Champ to the UM J-3 Cub.  Word there was the Champ had more umph and was slightly bigger - but not too much so.  You certainly can't beat the price for the Champ!  RTF Champ (as that's the only way it comes it still cheaper than most BNF UMs.

However, after lots of reading, the T-28 is 4 Channel with Ailerons but flys very easy if you want it to, can take off and land in the same small area as the Champ, and having hte Ailerons, you might not get as bored as quickly.  I'm still on the fence myself between the Champ and the T-28, but I'm leaning toward the T-28.  1)  I like the look better. 2)  I like the idea of the ailerons (but not crazy hard to learn for a brand newbie).  3)  I already have a DX7 and don't need another controller.  For $10 more, I get a better plane (in my opinion) and no controller to add to the pile.

The ease of the Champ still has my attention though - so time will tell.  I'm hoping I have one or the other for Christmas.

Also, for what its worth - it's not on your list - but it was on mind - and AusDaniel metioned it - I've read the T-28 is much easier to fly slow and handle than the P-51 which was first on my list.  I ruled it out.

I think either way you go - you'll have a blast!  Hopefully more people will chime in on your two choices above soon!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:38:25 AM by jdr00ejr »
Joshua
----------
"Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not on thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."  ~Proverbs 3:5-6
----------

Helis --> Syma S-001 (Ignored), Pheonix Sim, Blade CX3/2/Lama V4 Mutt, Blade MSR, Blade MCX2 (Son's)

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:03 AM »
Hi,

looked at the UM Trojan T-28 and like the look of it so I have added it to the poll, the ailerons put me off slightly as I will be learning. I have just got the clearview sim so will be giving the T28a blast.

Thanks for they replies guys and I will let you know when and what I decide. :130: :130:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:55:30 AM by asboss »

Offline KeithLDick

• Forum Service
  • LifeTime Gamer
    • LifeTime Gamer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »
I went with the Ultra-Micro P-51D Mustang....

Very nice bird to fly and When I wear it out I'll prolly get another one...

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »
Hi Keith,

how do these micro planes perform in light wind/breeze??

Regards

Offline HD883C

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
I have the UM T-28 and it is really easy to fly.  I have crashed it alot but it just keeps flying after a bit of hot glue and tape.
Spectrum DX6i, Blade MSR, Blade mCP x, Parkzone UM T-29, Eflight UMX Beast, Eflight UMX Extra 300, Hitec Aurora 9, Parkzone Radian Pro, Esky Belt CP-V2

Offline HBFP NL

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Happy Flying!
    • Happy Flying
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 01:19:28 AM »
Adam you will like the DarkSide  :130:

Maybe also take in consideration that some planes like wind better then others which will increase the possibilities of flying with a breeze.

My RC foamy & heli Blog: http://www.happyflying.nl

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
Adam you will like the DarkSide  :130:

Maybe also take in consideration that some planes like wind better then others which will increase the possibilities of flying with a breeze.

That's the plan Eric, being drawn into the dark side, will keep you posted :130:

Offline Wayne

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15:18 AM »
I have an Ultimate FX for sale at the LHS.  Soon as it sells I am getting the Trojan  :yesguy:
I don't always fly a good gyro, but when I do, I prefer Vbar...Stay inverted my friends!

eFlite MSR, HBFPv2, Align 250, HK450GT, EXI 450, EXI 500, Raptor 30

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
Well guys I have just bought the Champ with spare battery and 2 spare props and spinners all for £83 including postage :130:
Best deal I could find.
I want to ease into planes and I have watched lots of videos and read up on all spec's.
When I have mastered the Champ I will progress.
Thanks for the input guys and I will post pics and videos soon.
Will keep flying my Bee  and will keep posting videos.
Cheers again :130:
Asboss
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:19:28 AM by asboss »

Offline HBFP NL

• MOTM Award
  • Legend
  • Happy Flying!
    • Happy Flying
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 03:03:46 AM »
Adam congratulations!!!!

If you have a sim start flying it  :130:

My RC foamy & heli Blog: http://www.happyflying.nl

Offline asboss

• MOTM Award
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 03:18:40 AM »
Hi Eric, I have the Clearview sim so been having fun on that :cooldance: so hopefully this will help with my first flight  :cooldance: /crash  :angryred:.
Watch this space :130: